Yesterday was the first really cold day in a long time. It was grey, and rainy, and gloomy. It didn’t come as a surprise; leaves are starting to turn red announcing the dark days ahead. I unburied my long tights from the bottom of my closet and went running early in the morning. My ten-miler is in a couple of weeks. I hit big miles and steep hills around the Iwo Jima memorial. I was starving when I finished my run. After getting all soaked up in the rain, I was craving a hot and spicy breakfast with a cup of hot chamomile tea (and was ready to snuggle back in my bed to watch Downton Abbey on Netflix). I had shrimp in my freezer, greek yogurt in my fridge, and chipotle in my pantry.
So… shrimp tacos for breakfast? I texted mom, and asked for the details of the recipe. The answer was simple, you can prepare these tacos in as little as 10 minutes.
- 2 table spoons of butter
- 1 7oz container of greek yogurt fage total classic. The original recipe uses 1 can of media crema, but I always substitute media crema with greek yogurt with great results
- ½ cup of almond milk (soy or regular milk will probably work too)
- 1 pound of peeled and precooked shrimp
- 3 to 5 table spoons of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, depending on how much you can handle
- ½ white onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- Thaw the shrimp. Set them apart. If your shrimp are not frozen, even better.
- In the blender put the greek yogurt, the almond milk, and chipotle peppers. Blend thoroughly until smooth. Add more milk if the mix is too thick.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add the minced onion and diced garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- When the onion and garlic start to brown, add the shrimp. Sauté for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chipotle mix and let it simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the tortillas and serve. You can add cheese or avocado.
Rick Helmuth was the lucky winner of the RIPE book giveaway! I’ll be sending the book this week. Thanks everyone for participating!
Today was cold too…